SSA 2018 Staff Registration
SSA recently changed the platform it utilizes to manage the club from GotSoccer to Sports Engine to better align services with US Soccer. All staff will be required to complete a new staff registration form with headshots for club records as well as provide verification of completion for all mandated US Soccer forms/trainings.
Additionally, US Soccer has made several changes to their certification requirements that effects all soccer staff. We have provided a brief overview of these changes below. And please take note:
US Club rules state you will not be able to register, conduct practices, or be on field with your team until all of these are completed and your US Club pass has been issued.
Should you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to one of the SSA registrars. We have also provided a section on frequently asked questions below. Thank you.
- How many staff does NorCal rules allow per team? NorCal allow up to 3 staff with valid US Club pass cards on the field during games.
- How long are passes valid for? Passes are valid for two years. This season’s pass is Aug. 1, 2018 – July 31, 2019. Last season Aug.1, 2017- July 31, 2018.
- What staff positions are required per NorCal League rules? Head coach and Asst. coach are required by the league while a manager is advised.
- What staff fees does SSA cover? SSA covers the fees for 3 staff, (head and asst, coaches, plus 1 additional). If teams desire more staff, they can use the same staff registration links, but will have to pay for their own passes themselves.
- Which staff can work with players unsupervised? ONLY staff with background checks cleared or valid US Club cards may be unsupervised on or off the field with players. This means practices too!
- What are the benefits of being passed? Benefits of being passed: Can sign in players to games and tournaments, be on field, and conduct trainings/practices unsupervised with players .
Clarification on which staff need to get which certifications/background check
Previous SSA Staff in NorCal League
If you have a valid SSA US Club pass because you coached for SSA in the NorCal league and got your pass last year, you will need to register, complete the safety first training (free) and upload your Sideline Sports Certificate number. DO NOT REDO the background check or sideline sports.
New to SSA or NorCal League
If you are new to SSA or NorCal (competitive) league, you will need to complete all of the steps for registration. Background check codes can be obtained from me via email individually for privacy. Please hold onto all certificates, you may need them for reference.
Pursuant to U.S. Soccer rules, current US Club Soccer staff registration is required of all individuals coaching, managing or working with US Club Soccer-registered youth players. This includes, but is not necessarily limited to, all coaches, assistant coaches, and team managers assigned to a team with youth players, regardless of whether they are volunteers or paid staff, or registered with another U.S. Soccer member organization.
Individuals that are not currently registered with US Club Soccer are not allowed to participate with US Club Soccer-registered youth players, nor are they covered by US Club Soccer insurance.
Steps to Complete Staff Certification:
Player Health and Safety Initiatives: As part of its Players First philosophy and in order to promote a safe environment, US Club Soccer requires completion of the following Player Health and Safety initiatives by all staff members registering with US Club Soccer.
- Become “SafeSport Trained.” [safesport.org] – effective as of the 2018-19 registration year
The U.S. Center for SafeSport online training covers the following subjects: sexual abuse, hazing, bullying, emotional misconduct, physical misconduct, harassment (non-sexual) as well as reporting obligations. There are three modules required to become “SafeSport Trained”: a) Mandatory Reporting: Understanding Your Responsibilities; b) Sexual Misconduct Awareness Education; and c) Emotional and Physical Misconduct. You must use this code when registering: YC3E-6P5G-YYIL-CS2M
- Complete Sideline Sports Doc (SSD) online course. [usclubsoccer.sidelinesportsdoc.com/]. This training program includes a six-chapter online course, as well as downloadable .pdf/e-book and .mp3 products, designed to improve on-field triage of key injury situations. The course incorporates U.S. Soccer’s “Concussions in Soccer” video and other Recognize to Recover content. The chapters are: 1) The SAFE Method – initial evaluation of an on-field injury, 2) Ankle and foot injuries, 3) Concussion, 4) Fractures, 5) Heat illness, and 6) Knee injuries.
Registration: Registration is not complete until the staff pass-card registration request has been approved by US Club Soccer. This will be handled by the SSA registrar.
Full US Soccer Certification requirements and helpful guidelines can be found here.
Background screening on SSA staff (coaches, managers and trainers) will be good for two years, If you did not fill out the screening last season you must do this for the 2018-2019 Season. If you are not sure please just fill out again as it will only take a few minutes to fill out.
Screening is done through the US Soccer link below. Staff applications will not be approved until a background check has been completed and received by SSA. Thank you.
Complete background screening. [US Club Soccer Background Screening Application]Beyond a variety of national sources, our level of screening generally includes a direct county/state of residence criminal record search for all counties in which an individual has lived within the past seven years, regardless of whether any “hits” appear on the national database searches.